David Lee Roth of Van Halen addressed the rumors that the band would be performing at the upcoming Super Bowl halftime show. Here’s his statement via the Van Halen News Desk:
I’m compelled to address the now-rampant rumors that Van Halen is playing the Superbowl. First of all let me say this — be still my pigskin heart. That honor has not been bestowed upon us at this time though it is one we would accept in a NY minute.
Having heard VH blaring through stadium speakers on any given Sunday – more like every given Sunday, the idea of playing there live would be like – ‘okay, now we’re in the game’.
Van Halen’s collective memories are – and with all due respect to each and every one of these memories, teeming with been-theres and done-that’s, but none include playing at the Superbowl. Playing at the Superbowl is a veritable holy grail of musical recognition, a highly prized rite of passage for (game-changing) artists. Not a spiritual rite with snake pits or Hebrew school or anything, but it’s up there.
We are not on Commissioner Goodell’s dance card at this time, but we would be most honored to dance the halftime away in New Orleans.
It’s an honor to be considered and for that we would like to thank the rumormongers all over the World Wide Web.
If the NFL does go with Van Halen, I am all for it. Great band with great songs that are recognized all around sports. Plus, no risk of wardrobe malfunctions or middle fingers.
But if the NFL doesn’t choose Van Halen, here are a couple musical acts they can also consider:
- THE EAGLES: Weren’t these guys rumored to have done it last year? Classic rock band with great songs like “Life in the Fast Lane” and “Lying Eyes”. Plus, they can end their set with “Hotel California” and drift away in the awesome solo.
- SANTANA: You can tell that I love classic rock. I saw Santana live in concert and it was a great show. He has some contemporary tracks but it would great if he pulls out some “Soul Sacrifice” and “Oye Como Va”. So many great songs to choose from.
- AC/DC: Same as above. Classic band with great tracks.
- ERIC CLAPTON: Same as above also.
- PRINCE: Yes, I know he’s done it before but why not again? This guy knows how to rock.
- GREEN DAY: When the Saints returned to the SuperDome after Hurricane Katrina, Green Day played before the game and having them back would be nice too.
- THE KILLERS: If you want a current artist, how about these guys? Great catchy tunes everybody should know and they rock the stage very well. Seen them perform live twice and had a lot of fun.
- WEIRD AL: Legend.
- LADY GAGA: She’s so odd but I think if the NFL wants to get a non-old school audience, she’d be it. Although I really hope she doesn’t do anything that might be controversial. Who knows?
- DR. JOHN: If they want to add a local flavor to it, why not have this be the opportunity to play some great blues from a great artist? Works for me!
- LSU MARCHING BAND: Why not have a local university’s marching band do a show? Doubt they’d go for this since it’s not a moneymaker.
I would consider Lil Wayne since he’s from New Orleans, but I just don’t think rap translates well for the halftime show. Hasn’t in the past and I don’t they’d translate well now.
Who do you think should perform at halftime?