So this is the news that has gotten me all excited. It appears that a portion of NBA teams will throwback to the 1990s this season. As you can see from the above graphic, those are the teams that will be participating in this promotion and what is being guessed as to what they will be wearing.
These uniforms were aesthetically terrible. But I love them because they were the trend of the 1990s and more importantly, it takes me back to when I fell in love with basketball. I don’t recall much of the classic uniforms because these were the uniforms I grew up with.
It’s unique in a sense that most times, throwbacks go back at least a couple decades but these uniforms are still part of my generation. It’s really nice to go back to when basketball was truly king of the world. (And funny to be reminded that Charles Barkley wore three of these.)
Here are my thoughts on each uniform (assuming the teams will wear these).
- PACERS: I wish they threw back to the previous set, but this was when Reggie Miller was at the end of his career and on the best teams of his career. Great memories.
- KINGS: This was a bad idea then and it’s a bad idea now. But the black and purple of the times brings back the great rivalry they had with the Lakers.
- BUCKS: This is one of my favorite of all time. The buck looks so whack but the gradient adds to a 90s touch to it.
- BULLS: The best uniform the team has ever worn. Too bad the players didn’t like the pinstripes chafing their skin.
- HAWKS: Gradients, check. Oversized logo, check. Numbers on shoulder, check. Piping down one side of shorts, check. Number on shorts, check. All the gimmicks of a 90s uniform all in one.
- HEAT: A classic look with non symmetrical template. But the Laker-like number font was really bad.
- 76ERS: Oh my this was bad. It’s like the Superman opening credits. Was that what they were going for? Wasn’t a fan of these at all.
- CAVALIERS: Probably one of the worst of the bunch. But I somehow felt that these were so great because the shade of blue that was used. I never saw any other team used this shade of blue before.
- ROCKETS: Oh so bad. Enlarged logo in the front that looked like the 1996 Dream Team logo (which was around the time this set debuted). Unique in it’s own way but not a very good looking uniform.
- JAZZ: Much like many 1990s sets, this had an enlarged logo and non-symmetrical design, but I liked these mainly because it was associated with the good times for the Jazz.
- SUNS: If the Suns can go back to these full-time, I’m all for it. A shooting sun through the dark of the night jersey. Fantastic!
- RAPTORS: Another bad idea uniform but compared to what they wear now, I much prefer this old set.
Just too bad the Warriors aren’t following suit. But I guess these just bring up bad memories.
** And for more uniform updates on alternates for each team, check this out.