If you liked Man of Steel, then you are going to like this new movie. I just got back from the theater and I loved this movie a lot. But of course, this movie isn’t perfect and it has its flaws. But what I have come to understand that this is Zack Snyder’s universe he has created. I already threw out all I knew about all the characters in the movie and have accepted this new world of Batman and Superman.
One thing that you will notice that this movie is a little messy. There are a lot of complicated situations, misunderstandings, and a whole lot of fighting and building destruction (Hey! Isn’t that why we have this movie in the first place?). But to really capture the essence of the movie, you have to look at two really different characters who are bound together because of different viewpoints of things. But in reality, these two characters in Batman and Superman share similarities. That makes the situation even more complicated.
Lex Luthor’s character is the nucleus of the film. His attempt to pit the two together in a battle to the death is the genesis of his attempt to be an all-powerful warlord. That unfortunately doesn’t properly get developed in terms of character. There isn’t much to take from Wonder Woman either in terms of character development either. But it really is just to set up her own film that is to come. She did get the biggest pop in the theater.
I think the biggest thing to take from this film is that despite it being different from what we grew up with, we have to take in that Snyder focuses on the emotional aspect of each character in the film. That is the predominant theme in this movie, just like MOS. If you like that, then you’ll like this. The big fight scenes are just that and the overall presentation isn’t bad. It’s not going to be the most epic battle between two titans, but given the stage that was set by Snyder, it’s exactly what we expected.
Here are some notes from the movie.
- I really enjoyed the score for the movie. Half of it was taken from MOS, which really connected the feelings and emotions from the first movie.
- There isn’t much character development in Bruce Wayne or exactly what he’s about. It’s assumed you know his story.
- Additionally, his final battle suit looks so clunky and ridiculous.
- But Ben Affleck played a really good Bruce Wayne/Batman. Surprised me.
- I won’t say too much about Doomsday but I didn’t think too much of him.
- Wonder Woman’s outfit looked amazing and it worked well with the character that it wasn’t red and blue and instead mostly bronze and leather.
- It is still a little hard to accept the fact that Lois knows Superman’s identity and the attempt by Clark to chase after his crush is gone. That is what makes Superman so likable. But this is a different Superman now.
- You don’t need to stay to the end of the credits. There are not extra teasers or scenes.
I give this three stars out of five. It’s still an enjoyable movie despite the flaws here and there. But in this new universe, the story told is exactly what I expected.