During the announcement today that the Charlotte Bobcats will now be officially known as the Charlotte Hornets going forward, it was noted that the history of the team will adapt the old Charlotte Hornets.
The current franchise’s history will have the statistics of the Hornets from 1988-2002 and the Bobcats from 2004-2014. Essentially, all NBA teams that have played in Charlotte will be part of this franchise’s history. That means the New Orleans Hornets from 2002-2013 will be part of the New Orleans Pelicans history.
It’s hard for me to accept this ruling because I know that the original Hornets team moved to New Orleans and that remains as one franchise. But because of the new name switching, it’s essentially claiming that the original Hornets never moved to New Orleans. Somehow, there was a two-year gap before magically that Hornets team became the Bobcats even though that franchise was still in New Orleans.
Sounded like a good idea to get fans involved. However, the responses have been pretty funny since most of them are pretty irrelevant.
They are bringing back the buzz! The NBA has approved for the Charlotte Bobcats to change their name to the Charlotte Hornets following this upcoming season.
With that move, we get to say farewell to one of the worst team branding eras in the history of sports. I personally am delighted to see the disappearance of the Bobcats and their brand from the NBA.
When the Bobcats made their debut as an expansion team in 2004, I actually liked their color scheme. Orange uniforms weren’t popular in the NBA and with the addition of their shade of blue with silver and blood orange, I thought it was pretty nice.
The Starter Jackets, the players, the colors. This was the 90s to me. This was what basketball meant to a lot of people. To bring back the buzz would be amazing!
With their new altered logo, it was no surprise that the Charlotte Bobcats would get a new uniform. On Tuesday they unveiled it to the public and I feel that it could have been so much better.
Here are some thoughts on these new uniforms.
- The jersey style template is the same as teams like the Lakers, Heat, Raptors. Unoriginal.
- Now Orange is their third color of their uniform set. It’s two different shades of blue that’s ahead as their primary colors, which also is very unoriginal.
- Removal of the pinstripes is fine by me, but I don’t if adding them to the side panels works well.
- The team kept the font for their name but the numbers are similar to that of the Mavericks. In fact, their whole set reminds me of Dallas.
- For a team that had a unique, distinct color set to their uniforms now looks like another generic basketball team. But since it’s the Bobcats, nobody will even notice that they won’t have their full team name on their home uniforms.
- What was wrong with this? For a team that hasn’t even been around for a decade, this is their third different uniform set.