So apparently the Patriots deflated 11 of the 12 balls they used for the AFC title game. That 12th ball is the kicker’s ball, so they actually deflated every ball they used for the game. Even though these balls didn’t play a significant result into the big win, there are a lot of questions that I have from this news.
- Was this their first time doing this?
- How did the referees not catch it?
- What advantage is there for ball deflation?
- What if it was an honest mistake, and the equipment manager just measured it wrong?
- Who ordered this scheme to take place? Did Belichick know if he wasn’t part of it?
- What should the punishment be for the Patriots?
- If they suspend anyone for the Super Bowl, they can appeal. So is suspension even a possibility?
- Is there a solution to prevent things like this from happening in the future?
So many questions and I still wonder whether or not if this was really cheating or maybe an honest mistake. Knowing the Patriots, this is likely intentional. Let’s see how this unfolds.
In the meantime, a funny video for you!